I’m one of those consumers that likes to visit the grocery store on a daily basis, discover what is in season and pick up the most fresh ingredients. I rarely have a stocked fridge so when I’m running low on food, I must get creative with what I have.
I was travelling quite a bit this past month and had a few visitors so I was eating out a lot. As I return to my regularly scheduled routine, it is time for me to get back into my healthy eating patterns as well. This week, I remembered how the simplest salads can sometimes be the tastiest. It can be so easy to use your resources and play with your own creativity. If you need some inspiration and a place to start, check out this quick and easy recipe below.
Simple Kale Salad
-1 Bunch of Curly Kale or Dinosaur Kale, trimmed and chopped
-1/8 Red Onion, Chopped
-4 TB EVOO
-2 TB Tahini
-Juice of 1 Lemon or a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil
-1/8 Avocado, sliced for garnish (optional)
-Salt & Pepper
- Rinse trimmed & chopped Kale and pat to dry.
- In large mixing bowl, mix Kale & Red Onion.
- Pour EVOO, Tahini & Lemon Juice on top of kale salad mixture.
- Massage kale salad with hands to ensure the dressing is evenly distributed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Portion out salad into separate mixing bowls and garnish with sliced avocado.
- Enjoy your Simple Kale Salad.
Makes 4 Servings
Helpful Tip: Kale is a cruciferous super food so it won’t wilt like regular lettuce. After you prepare the salad, you can leave the remaining salad in the fridge for an additional 24-48 hours and still enjoy its crunchy texture a day or 2 later.